Friday, March 20, 2009

Jordan 23 vs. 39

I want to make it clear for all readers out there that I am a die-hard Michael Jordan fan: always have been and always will be. About once a month, I have this irresistible urge to get my Jordan fix. I'll goto Youtube, type Michael Jordan into the searchbox, and watch random videos until my addiction is temporarily satisfied.

Today, I came across my favorite Jordan commercial - Gatorade's "23 vs. 39".



I remember watching this when it first aired on television; I sat mesmerized at the sight of two Michael Jordans. When it ended, I turned towards my dad dumbfounded and muttered, "Did you see that?". Even having watched it numerous times, I'm still left giddy like a child at the end.

Gatorade sparked every basketball fan's imagination with the release of that commercial. Which Jordan was better? The young and freakishly athletic MJ of the 80's? Or the seasoned and wily veteran MJ of the late 90's? Was Jordan more dangerous when he got to the basket at will? Or when he turned into the assassin with the development of his unguardable fade-away jumper? While watching, you want to stop it so you can savor it, but at the same time you want to see what happens next. It's like you can't even handle it all: a brain overload. The dramatic lighting of the court, the playful trashtalk, and the UNC MJ cameo at the end - all tasteful touches to the perfect commercial.

I can't fully express the amount of joy this commercial brings me. I can only hope you enjoy it too.

No comments: